South Hykeham School opened in 1871 as a one room building. The original red brick Victorian classroom remains today. In 1958 an extension to the School took place and the main building was considerably enlarged. In 1989 a mobile classroom was provided to give additional accommodation. In 1993 the School was further extended to provide two extra purpose built infant classrooms and thus freeing the largest classroom to be used as a temporary hall. A new hall and ICT room were built in 2003. 2010 saw the school updated with separate offices for head and administrator and a new disabled toilet facility. In 2016 a new classroom was built and a further class remodelled. As a result the school currently has 6 classes.